Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Thoughts from a Freshman

COLLEGE IS EXCITING. I’ve heard it said, and now I believe it. You hear stories about all the awesome and crazy things that people do in college and you can’t help but itch to go on an adventure of your own, to get out there and make a difference.  Well, I’ve found my adventure.

Mountains for Moms is not a well-known organization. The only reason I knew about it was because my sister was part of it back when it went by the name of Fistula Free Climb. When I heard her talk about how she climbed one of the highest mountains in the world, and for a good cause to boot, all I was thinking was, “will I do something that cool when I go to college?”

I’m ensuring the answer to that question is yes. If you want to get out there and make a difference, waiting around isn’t an option. That’s why I’ve joined Mountains for Moms as a freshman. For now I’m doing fundraisers, writing emails to build awareness for obstetric fistula, brainstorming ideas to get the word out about our mission, and just trying to be useful (not the easiest thing for a freshman!). But before long, I’ll be going places, literally and figuratively.

If there’s one thing that I’ve learned from my few brief weeks at Cornell, it’s that the world is a huge place. There are several classes, dozens of information sessions, and hundreds of clubs that you can get involved with. Everything is thrown at you at a break-neck pace, and it’s hard to tell what’s important to you. So why did I join Mountains for Moms of all things?

THE CHALLENGE TO DO GOOD. It’s that simple. The coupling of a charity and a mountain to summit was perfect for me. There were many other things I could have signed up for, but I can’t imagine an organization that would be more rewarding. It’s tough to distinguish what you’ll want to spend time on, but this is beyond a doubt worth it. If you can’t get directly involved with the organization, read up on obstetric fistula and consider donating. Tell your friends about the condition and build awareness for a global health issue that is largely ignored.

That’s what I’m going to do. I’ve found my adventure. I’ve found my challenge. I’ve found my opportunity to do good. Maybe you’ve found something similar, or will in the future. For the sake of that thing, I’m asking you to help out with this cause, or if not this one something similar. A bunch of strangers and acquaintances talking up the cause or donating a few dollars can make all the difference in the world.

So thanks for taking the time to read this, and thanks for anything you do to help anyone out in the future. It means a lot, even if you don’t always see the effects right away.


Luke Mehringer

No comments:

Post a Comment